Review the purposes and format of a Topic sentence
- complete Exercise 1, 2, 3 on your worksheet.
As you have learned in class, Chubs created a secret code for his parents within the text of a book review of Gulliver's Travels. He and Ruby discussed the need for a secret code in Chapter 16.
Your task has two parts:
1) Create a new and original front and back cover for the novel The Darkest Minds.
a) the front cover should have the title of the book in large clear letters - at the top of the page.
b) the author's name should be in clear letters at the bottom of the page.
c) there should be an original illustration on the front cover
d) the back cover may contain a picture as well
e) the back cover must have either quotes from people's responses to the book OR a summary of the story
2) Embedded in the back cover should be a secret code. This will be an original code and original message designed to let someone know that you are alive and safe. The code may use numbers, words or pictures. On the back of the cover, you will include a copy of the hidden message along with the translation.
YOU MAY WORK WITH A PARTNER ON THIS ASSIGNMENT. BOTH YOU AND YOUR PARTNER WILL RECEIVE THE SAME MARK SO ENSURE THAT YOU DIVIDE THE WORK FAIRLY.
TAPE CO is a method we use in grade 7 and 8 to ensure that your reading response answers are complete.
T - take part of the question and put it in your answer - underline in BLACK
A - answer the question logically - for example - if there are two parts to the question, answer the first part, then the second part - underline in BLUE
P - provide proof form the text - this may be direct quotes and page numbers OR it may be specific examples of events or details from the text - underline in RED
E - explain or expand on your proof - think about why your proof is important - underline in GREEN
C- make a connection - to yourself, another text, the world or media to support your answer (this may be optional) - underline in PINK
O - offer an opinion about what you have read - underline in ORANGE
Choose one of the four questions.
Your answer should contain:
- part of the question in the answer
- your own ideas
- details from the book
- information, ideas and opinions form our class discussions
- information form your notes, class charts, etc
1. Why did Ruby's escape work?
2. Why do you think Dr Cate Begbie is helping the Thurmond kids?
3. Why does Thurmond have so many rules?
4. Which power is the most useful? Why?
Use information from your own knowledge as well as details from the book or our class discussion to answer your question. Add as much detail as you can. Choose ONE of the FOUR questions.
1. What is worse - mental or physical restraints? Explain.
2. What do you think about Ruby? What are her strengths and weaknesses?
3. What would be better - to be a "green" or a "blue"? Why?
4. Why are there so many rules at Thurmond?
Use the template attached below to help you plan your paragraph writing. A grade 7 paragraph should be 8 - 10 sentences long. The body of the paragraph (the supporting evidence) can include:
In the next few days, all Language classes in grade 7 and 8 will be starting a Read Aloud. The book we have chosen this year is called The Darkest Minds, by Alexandra Bracken. The Darkest Minds is the first book in a four book series. Each class will be spending 10 - 15 minutes a day reading and discussing the book and completing a variety of activities. The teacher will be doing the Read Aloud, but a PDF of the book will be posted if students miss a day or want to re-read a section or chapter. We do not need students to read ahead.
In the next week we will be working on identifying text features and finding out what each features does. You will have a worksheet that will list the text features. Your job is t use the BoldPrint book that you chose in class to find an example of the text feature and to describe the text feature's "job". A copy of the worksheet is attached below if you forgot or lost yours.