- to create a PSA type poster to provide information about Grade 7 at CPHS
- up coming grade 7 students, poster will be place in the Intermediate areas of the school in time for August Orientation Days and will remain posted for the month of September
- a clear title in font larger than other font on the poster
- information in bullet point format about your subject
- original drawings and illustrations
- bright attractive colours (keep the number of colours to a minimum)
- no spelling or grammar errors
- the poster is neat, attractive and gets the viewer's attention
- information should be legible from 1 Metre distance
Read the article at the link below. IT is about the inventor of basketball.
When you are done reading, divide a piece of paper into quarters. Label the quarters RT, T&S, A&M and OMO. Then, write one question for each question type. Make sure that your question matches the question type - refer to the blue paper in your Language notebook. You will be exchanging your questions with another student.
Review the purposes and format of a Topic sentence
- complete Exercise 1, 2, 3 on your worksheet.
As you have learned in class, Chubs created a secret code for his parents within the text of a book review of Gulliver's Travels. He and Ruby discussed the need for a secret code in Chapter 16.
Your task has two parts:
1) Create a new and original front and back cover for the novel The Darkest Minds.
a) the front cover should have the title of the book in large clear letters - at the top of the page.
b) the author's name should be in clear letters at the bottom of the page.
c) there should be an original illustration on the front cover
d) the back cover may contain a picture as well
e) the back cover must have either quotes from people's responses to the book OR a summary of the story
2) Embedded in the back cover should be a secret code. This will be an original code and original message designed to let someone know that you are alive and safe. The code may use numbers, words or pictures. On the back of the cover, you will include a copy of the hidden message along with the translation.
YOU MAY WORK WITH A PARTNER ON THIS ASSIGNMENT. BOTH YOU AND YOUR PARTNER WILL RECEIVE THE SAME MARK SO ENSURE THAT YOU DIVIDE THE WORK FAIRLY.
TAPE CO is a method we use in grade 7 and 8 to ensure that your reading response answers are complete.
T - take part of the question and put it in your answer - underline in BLACK
A - answer the question logically - for example - if there are two parts to the question, answer the first part, then the second part - underline in BLUE
P - provide proof form the text - this may be direct quotes and page numbers OR it may be specific examples of events or details from the text - underline in RED
E - explain or expand on your proof - think about why your proof is important - underline in GREEN
C- make a connection - to yourself, another text, the world or media to support your answer (this may be optional) - underline in PINK
O - offer an opinion about what you have read - underline in ORANGE
Choose one of the four questions.
Your answer should contain:
- part of the question in the answer
- your own ideas
- details from the book
- information, ideas and opinions form our class discussions
- information form your notes, class charts, etc
1. Why did Ruby's escape work?
2. Why do you think Dr Cate Begbie is helping the Thurmond kids?
3. Why does Thurmond have so many rules?
4. Which power is the most useful? Why?
Use information from your own knowledge as well as details from the book or our class discussion to answer your question. Add as much detail as you can. Choose ONE of the FOUR questions.
1. What is worse - mental or physical restraints? Explain.
2. What do you think about Ruby? What are her strengths and weaknesses?
3. What would be better - to be a "green" or a "blue"? Why?
4. Why are there so many rules at Thurmond?